Michael Smith’s Barley Kale Tabbouleh
Food Food Network host Chef Michael Smith gives us the inside scoop on his new book Family Meals with one of his delicious dishes that will bring the family together this fall.
Gather these ingredients to create this tasty course that even the pickiest of eaters will find delicious!
For the salad
- 4 large kale leaves, tough center stems trimmed away
- 1 cup (250mL) of any barley
- 1 teaspoon (5mL) of salt
- A handful of finely chopped parsley
- Leaves from 1 bunch of fresh mint, finely chopped
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 pint (500mL) of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 large dill pickle, minced
For the dressing
- The zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons (30mL) of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon (15mL) of honey
- 1 tablespoon (15mL) of your
- favourite mustard
- ½ teaspoon (2mL) of salt
- ½ teaspoon (2mL) hot sauce
Stack the kale leaves, then roll them up tightly. Slice them as thinly as possible, forming fine threads. Cram into a small saucepan and add ¼ cup (60mL) of water. Cover and cook over high heat until the kale softens, just 2 or 3 minutes. Drain and spread out on a plate to cool.
Measure the barley into the same saucepan and add 3 cups (750mL) of water and the salt. Bring to a full boil, and then reduce the heat to a bare simmer. Cover tightly and continue cooking until the grains swell, absorbing the water and tenderizing, about 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients until emulsified. Throw in the tender barley, the kale, parsley, mint, green onions, tomatoes and pickle. Toss the works together, evenly mixing the flavours, textures and colours. Serve and share!