Do you know how many career options exist for a Registered Veterinary Technologist and Technician (RVT)? If you don’t, you’re not alone.
It’s not surprising that RVTs and the general public alike are unaware of the potential options or how to plan their career to maximize job satisfaction and longevity in the field.
The RVT profession offers many diverse career paths in animal healthcare. It goes beyond the smiling face you see at your veterinary clinic calming your anxious cat or dog in the examination room.
- Did you know that RVTs work in veterinary hospitals, livestock health facilities, shelters, research facilities, educational institutions, government, animal health care industry sales, zoo and wildlife care facilities, plus more?
- Did you know RVTs working in laboratory animal science play an important role in the development of new pharmaceuticals and medical devices for both animal and human medicine?
- Did you know there are 16 veterinary technician specialties, and the Certified Veterinary Practice Managers specialty lead teams and focus on the business side of veterinary medicine?
- Did you know that RVTs inspire and educate through veterinary work culture consultation?
- Did you know that an RVT can expand their passion and get micro-credentials such as equine massage therapy, diabetes educator, behaviour consultants, canine rehabilitation therapy, hospice and palliative care, plus many more?
The RVTTC wanted to help inspire and empower those who are passionate about animal health to see a long-term career in an essential and growing profession.
The RVT Career NavigatorTM was launched as a bilingual, national career planning and advancement website dedicated to the Registered Veterinary Technologists/Technician profession. It enables high school students, second career/mature students, veterinary technology students and RVTs to investigate, explore, and create their own career pathway based on their skills, experience, education, passion, and professional goals.
Chart your career in four easy steps
Start your RVT career exploration by logging into the Career Charting Tool. It is an interactive tool based on 45 user profiles. Simply create a secure user profile to log in to explore a career pathway created from your skills, experience, education, and professional goals. At the end of a four-step process, you will have a career profile complete with specific information and links relevant to your choices.
The RVT Career Navigator™ website is an Employment Ontario project and is funded in part by the Government of Canada and the Government of Ontario.
Byline: Heather Shannon, RVT, President of the Registered Veterinary Technologists and Technicians of Canada.
Heather Shannon is the current President of the Registered Veterinary Technologists and Technicians of Canada (RVTTC) and a member of one of RVTTC’s member associations, the British Columbia Veterinary Technologists Association. RVTTC is the national association representing roughly 10,000 RVTs across Canada on national and international issues.