Director of Marketing, SCENE
Managing Director, SCENE
Executive Director of Partnerships and CRM, SCENE
Canada’s #1 award-winning entertainment loyalty program has a strong member base. It’s currently sitting at over 10 million members, which means that it has a member in more than 50 percent of Canadian households.
Established in 2007 in a joint partnership between Cineplex and Scotiabank, SCENE has come a long way since its early days of offering free movie ticket rewards. Over the years, the program has expanded to include a greater variety of rewards and experiences, including movies, dining, and entertainment, with new expansions in sports, music, and shopping that allow members to maximize the value they get out of the program. This year, SCENE has expanded even more substantially to bring benefits to its members who are staying home to stay safe.
Something for everyone
“SCENE is all about creating opportunities for our members to do the things that they love with their friends and family,” says Matthew Seagrim, SCENE’s Managing Director. “There are many ways you can engage with SCENE, whether at home or in person.”
SCENE members can earn and redeem points at Cineplex theatres, at The Rec Room or Playdium locations, by renting or buying movies at the Cineplex Store online, by visiting or ordering from the program’s restaurant partners (Swiss Chalet, Harvey’s, Milestones, Kelseys, and more), and through the Scotiabank SCENE Visa Card and Scotiabank SCENE Debit Card. There are also opportunities to earn points and win prizes through SCENE Music, sports, and promotional partners like Telus.
Starting this December, members will also be able to redeem SCENE points for an assortment of gift cards for movies, dining, apparel, household items, gaming, electronics, and more — perfect holiday gift-giving options.
A slam dunk with the NBA
To create new ways to entertain its members, SCENE recently introduced a partnership with the NBA. As the NBA’s first loyalty partner, SCENE is able to bring its members even more rewards and once-in-a-lifetime experiences, from unique fan experiences to game tickets.
“The SCENE program is about setting up easily-attainable rewards that will give members lasting experiences,” says Ryan Giff, Executive Director of Partnerships and CRM at SCENE. “We saw an opportunity late last year to partner with the NBA and to offer great experiences to our member base, so we seized the opportunity.”
Although some of these experiences have had to be adapted due to the pandemic, SCENE members have lots to look forward to during the new basketball season next year.
Striking the right note with members
Canadians love music and SCENE Music Canada, a new vertical offering for members that includes a partnership with music label Universal Music, is another exciting way for members to enjoy unforgettable experiences. It kicked off in August with a virtual, interactive live-streamed event from The Rec Room in downtown Toronto featuring Juno award-winning band The Beaches with special guests Valley and Soran.
While SCENE Music has evolved creatively to fit the COVID-19 era, it has a lot up its sleeve for the future. In the long-term, the program will give SCENE members access to exclusive music opportunities to discover new artists, support up-and-coming artists, and engage with top talent, with exclusive access to content, fan experiences, contests, and more.
For nights in and nights out
The COVID-19 pandemic has introduced new hurdles for consumers and made it more difficult to stay connected with friends and family. SCENE Nights In and SCENE Nights Out were created to help people connect with one another in different ways depending on their level of comfort and what’s going on in their community.
For some, that may mean a cozy evening in with a rental movie from the Cineplex Store, takeout from a favourite local restaurant, or a virtual concert — such as The Reklaws virtual tour that runs until December 2, where members get a free ticket with every 1 purchased. For others, it may mean a date night out with dinner at a restaurant and a movie at the theatre.
“All Canadians have a new appreciation for a night out,” says Susan LeBlanc, Director of Marketing at SCENE. “Pre-COVID-19, a lot of us took relationships for granted and even struggled to make the time for social gatherings. Now we understand the power of enjoying activities such as movie-going with other people.” Whether online or in person, there are more ways than ever to engage with SCENE and to maximize the value you get from the program.
How to Maximize Your Value with SCENE
- Earn and redeem SCENE points for FREE movies at Cineplex Theatres.
- Earn 1 point for every $5 spent on food and drink at the movies.
- Earn 10 points for every $1 spent when you rent movies on the Cineplex Store.
- 1,000 SCENE points will get you $10 off at over 800 restaurants Canada-Wide, including Swiss Chalet, Harvey’s, East Side Mario’s, Montana’s, Milestones, and more.
- Check your offers often in the SCENE app or website to earn lots of bonus points on dining.
- Earn 1 point for every $1 spent, or redeem 1,000 points for $10 off eats and entertainment at The Rec Room and Playdium.
- Win SCENE points through TimePlay Live events.
- Front of the line access to music, gaming events, contests, and more.
- Exclusive access to artists, contests, and more.
- Virtual fan experiences and events.
- In normal times: Redeem SCENE points for concert tickets through Vivid Seats.
- Starting this December, redeem SCENE points for gift cards in movies, dining, apparel, household items, gaming, electronics, and more — perfect holiday gift-giving options.
- Opportunities to win premium prizing and once-in-a-lifetime experiences at marquee NBA events around the world.
- In normal times: Redeem SCENE points for game tickets through Vivid Seats.